Friday, January 19, 2007

Just say no to cooking

The Guardian

Mothers typically spend nearly three years of their lives stirring, baking and stewing. It doesn't have to be this way, says Joanna Moorhead.
Last week, to my horror, I found out that I can expect to do one of my least favourite activities about 45,990 times over the course of my lifetime. That is the equivalent of an hour a day, or 17 days a year, or, perhaps most alarmingly, almost three years in all.
The activity is cooking, and, even if you do enjoy it, you should still be perturbed by Quorn's survey into the time women spend hunched over the stove. Reading the news reports about this, my first thought was: why is this research all about women and the time we spend in the kitchen? The only mention of men came on the issue of how tricky they are to prepare food for, with a quarter of the women questioned saying they regularly prepare separate meals for their partner.

Read more...

No comments: