Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My sons are allergic to nuts. How can I give them a balanced diet?

The Times, Times2

By Jane Clarke

Q:
My sons, aged 12 and 10, are allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. My older son is also allergic to sesame, coconut and chickpeas. But when we cut these foods from their diet they are missing out on many nutrients. And replacing chocolate in school vending machines with healthy alternatives that often include nuts is unfair on those with allergies.

A:
I can feel your frustration, but (having been part of Jamie Oliver's crusade to get the junk out of schools) I would say that part of bettering children's eating habits is to stock school vending machines with more nutritious things than chocolate and fizzy drinks, and I’m pleased that people are suggesting healthier snacks such as nuts. But I can see that for you this must be a nightmare, as nut allergies can be life-threatening.
Can I first say that although nuts are rich in things such as protein and zinc, you can easily obtain these nutrients (along with mono-unsaturated fat, which nuts are also famous for) from vegetable oils such as olive oil.

Read more...

No comments: